Tuesday, April 3, 2012

a rapid update!

Whoa time flies && I have SO much to write about!!!
...My parents were here for a week and it was a really nice time with them, I have tons of photos to share. However, this week is Semana Santa - or Holy Week - here in Antigua, possibly the greatest catholic easter celebration in the world takes place in Antigua the week before Easter and it is just crazy around here! There are tourists here from all over the world, the streets are packed and there is happenings every day from now until Easter! So, I'm going to pause on the pictures from while my parents were here and try to get up some from the celebration that's happening here this week asap. I will start, hopefully tomorrow. But these I already had uploaded from my trip to El Salvador this past weekend, so I figured I'd quickly share them before I begin the roll of Semana Santa posts... and no worries, eventually I will get to posting from my time with my parents, because there's lots to share from then as well!
But anyway...
we crossed the border last thursday and journeyed a few hours into El Salvador.
*we as in me, my teacher (Maria-Elsa), and her daughter, Joselin.
Elsa is from El Salvador and we spent lots of time visiting with her family - it was really nice to get to know her people and one night we went into San Salvador to visit her niece and eat pupusas... there was lots of festivity in the calle and though the lighting is bad, I thought this was a pretty sweet pic of the dude playing with fire :)
Saturday we went to the beach...
= way different from any beach in the states;
lots of shack-type areas where you could pay to hold your place with a table and hammock,
then street-vendorish food everywhere,
and the smell of fishhhh!!! (yuck!)
but it was fun, and packed!
but Joselin and I spent time in the waves and sun, it was refreshing.
look at this dried fish they sell!
yuck, i gagged a lot on this trip, but tried to hold it in as everyone around me was enjoying fish with their rice and tortillas
this is Joselin :)
i <3 Pupusas!!!!
(this is a traditional food of El Salvador, it's like a tortilla stuff with cheese and beans - and usually chicharones but I not for me!... they are D-lish!! and i love them.)
this photo i took in the market,
this lady was preparing our breakfast pupusas the morning we left!

It was a nice trip, but I'm glad to be back in Guatemala now for the weeks' activities!
Ok I need to sleep now but I'll hopefully have a new post up again tomorrow.
¡Hasta maƱana!

No comments:

Post a Comment